- Where and when: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
12:00-1:00pm in 241 Cory.
- Textbook: D. Dummit and R. Foote, Abstract
Algebra, third edition.
- Office hours: in Evans 1091:
- Wednesday 9:00-10:30am.
- Friday 2:00-3:30pm.
- GSI: Justin Chen will be holding office hours in 959
Evans at the following times:
- Tuesday: 11 am - 3 pm
- Wednesday: 2 pm - 7 pm
- Friday: 11 am - 12 pm
- Piazza: I encourage you to ask your
- 10% homeworks, 20% each midterm, 50% final.
- The final grade can replace one of the midterms.
- You can drop one homework.
- Groups: We will be covering Ch. 1, 2 and 3.
- Rings: We will be covering Ch. 7, 8 and 9.
- Fields: We will be covering parts of of
Ch. 13 and 14.
- Homework 1,
due September 6th, and its solution.
- Homework 2,
due September 11th, and its solution.
- Homework 3,
due September 18th, and its solution.
- Homework 4,
due October 2nd, and its solution.
- Homework 5,
due October 9th, and its solution.
- Homework 6,
due October 16th, and its solution.
- Homework 7,
due October 23rd, and its solution.
- Homework 8,
due November 8th, and its solution.
- Homework 9, due
November 15th, and its solution.
- Homework 10, due
November 29th, and its solution.
- Spring 17
- Fall 16
- Spring 16
- August 23rd: Preliminaries (DF 0.1).
- August 25th: Arithmetic and equivalence relations (DF
0.1 and 0.2).
- August 28th: Equivalence relations and modular
arithmetic (DF 0.1 and 0.3)
- August 30th: Groups (DF 1.1).
- September 1st: Order of an element (DF 1.1).
- September 6th: Symmetric groups (DF 1.3).
- September 8th: Dihedral groups (DF 1.2).
- September 11th: Homomorphisms (DF 1.6).
- September 13th: Subgroups (DF 2.1).
- September 15th: Examples of subgroups (DF 2.2).
- September 18th: Cyclic groups (DF 2.3).
- September 20th: Generated subgroups and cosets (DF
2.4 and 3.2).
- September 22nd: First midterm.
- September 25th: Lagrange's theorem, normal subgroups
and quotient groups (DF 3.2 and 3.1).
- September 27th: First and second isomorphism
theorems (DF 3.1 and 3.3).
- September 29th: Third isomorphism
theorem and groups actions (DF 3.3 and 1.7).
- October 2nd: Stablizers, orbits and the class
equation (DF 2.2, 4.1 and 4.3).
- October 4th: Cauchy's theorem (DF 3.4 and 4.3).
- October 6th: Signature of a permutation (DF 3.5).
- October 9th: Rings, Definitions and examples (DF
- October 11th: Ring homomorphisms, ideals and
quotients (DF 7.3).
- October 13th: Ring quotients and polynomial rings
(DF 7.3 and 7.2).
- October 16th: Polynomial rings and generated ideals
(DF 7.3 and 7.4).
- October 18th: Maximal ideals (DF 7.4).
- October 20th: Prime ideals and Chines remainder
theorem (DF 7.4 and 7.6).
- October 23rd: Chinese remainder theorem and
Euclidian domains (DF 7.6 and 8.1).
- October 25th: Euclidian domains and principal ideal
domains (DF 8.1 and 8.2).
- October 27th: Greatest common divisors and unique
factorization domain (DF 8.1 and 8.2).
- October 30th: Second midterm
- November 1st: Unique factorization domains and
fraction fields (DF 8.3 and 7.5).
- November 3rd: Polynomial factorization (DF 9.3).
- November 6th: Roots of polynomials (DF 9.5)
- November 8th: Field extensions (DF 13.1).
- November 13th: Algebraic extensions (DF 13.1 and 13.2).
- November 15th: Algebraic extensions (DF 13.2).
- November 17th: Algebraic extensions (DF 13.2).
- November 20th: Spliting fields (DF 13.4).
- November 27th: Algebraic closure dand finite fields
(DF 13.4 and 13.5).
Approximate syllabus of future classes
- November 29th: Finite fields and introduction to
Galois theory (DF 13.5, 14.1 and 14.2).
- December 1st: The fundamental theorem of algebra (DF